Why I'm Here...

People always say having a child is a life-changing experience, but I never really understood just HOW different things would become. Not only did I change as a person, but everything around me changed...some things for the better, some for the not-so-much-better. But it's very true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and I believe that I have truly grown stronger and gotten that much closer to the person I always wanted to be. And to think one chunky little bundle of spit-bubbles and belly-laughs did all that...AMAZING.



Sunday, September 12, 2010

My love affair...with Reality TV

Sometimes being a pretty-much-single mom trying to make it on her own can be stressful. There's so much to worry about: bills, food, doctor's appointments, work, family, parenting...the list goes on and on. I prioritize my entire existence around my little chunky bundle of lovin', and I don't really take much time out for myself. There are moments when I need to relax and let my mind go numb for a while.
Solution?? Reality TV. I know most of it is staged to a certain extent, and it's for the most part tasteless and mind-numbing...but oohhhhhh, I love it!!!!! It doesn't require any real thinking, and most of the "characters" are so shallow that they give me an immediate boost of self esteem. And I don't discriminate, I'll watch anything. From C.O.P.S. to Jersey Shore to Teen Mom to Ghost Hunters. I like he "whodunnit" shows like Snapped and City Confidential. I love anything on HGTV, DIY, Food Channel, Travel Channel, or Cooking Channel. I love every last bit of it, it's my therapy. I'm not ashamed that I know who Maci and Farrah and Catelynn and Aber are, and tune into their teen angst-driven motherhood struggles on a weekly basis. Last night I became a fan of JWoww's Facebook page, and I fully intend to check out the rest of the Shore crew. I counted down the days until the new season of Jerseylicious began, and I don't care who knows it!! I need it, something has to provide a break from Barney and the gang from Sesame Street. And after spending my day trying to be Supermom, I don't necessarily want to watch anything too intellectually stimulating. Crime dramas don't really appeal to me (OMG except for Law & Order SVU, don't get me started...). Sitcoms just aren't what they used to be. I watch the news, at least once a day to keep current but more importantly to check the weather. With the exception of football season I don't care much for watching sports. I don't "do" TV movies, you won't catch me on WE or Lifetime or Oxygen weeping over the latest woman-done-wrong-by-a-man-but-survives-and-becomes-a-stronger-better-person flick. I've been known to watch the occasional Seinfeld rerun or Golden Girls late at night...you know, the "classics." Reality shows are my mainstay, though. Some might say it's a damn shame, but......anything to take me away for a little while when Calgon's not getting the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment